Friday, September 7, 2007

Lindsay's Dilemmas





For dinner tonight my friends and I walked to a familiar and delicious restaurant on the Ave called “The Pita Pit.” Something strange happened to me there; the dreaded, omnivore’s dilemma. The question, “should I eat meat or not” circled around in my mind as I explored my pita options.

The cahier asked me, “What would you like?”

I answered, “Hmm…well, uh, um I’ll go with the vegetarian hummus pita with added avocado.”

Besides hummus and avocado, my whole wheat pita contained feta cheese, lettuce, sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and Greek yogurt. It was absolutely delicious. I was so content after I finished it. My stomach was full of healthy, nutrient rich vegetables and my taste buds were still tingling. I did not miss the presence of meat one bit.

I was asked however by four of my six friends I was with if I was a vegetarian.

I replied, “Oh no, I eat meat, just not tonight.”

This is true; however my thoughts on vegetarianism at this moment are drastically changing. A month ago I wouldn’t have even considered becoming a vegetarian of any sort, however presently I am at a state where I do not believe I will ever eat red meat again.

In “The Omnivore’s Dilemma,” Pollan talks about eating animals “with the consciousness, ceremony, and respect they deserve.” It’s a powerful idea; however I believe Ben Franklin makes an even stronger point when he says “a reasonable creature is one who can come up with reasons for whatever he wants to do.” He indirectly states that animals aren’t “reasonable creatures,” and because of this it is morally okay to indulge in eating them. On top of this it is in our nature as human beings to consume meat. For all of human existence we, as a people, have been eating meat. Our bodies are set up to chew and digest meat. So why would I become a vegetarian?

If I were to become a vegetarian, or simply not eat red meat, it would be for purely selfish reasons. What turns me away from red meat can be summed up by the online flash animation, “The Meatrix,” which can be accessed at http://www.themeatrix.com/inside/index.html
.

The Meatrix sums up why eating animal products that come from Factory Farms are so often toxic and unhealthy for our bodies. The fact that for example “beef cattle in America are standing ankle-deep in their own waste eating a diet that makes them sick,” is what grosses me out and causes my aversion to red meat. The feces cattle ingest and the antibiotics and hormones they are fed transfer right into our bodies as we consume that famous McDonald’s double cheeseburger.

Anyway, back to the Meatrix. I learned more information that I ever thought possible from the creative, flash animation website. Several important, issues that most Americans are currently ignorant towards are explained here. I selected a group of issues that gave me nasty chills or enlightened me about information I was previously unaware of.

Antibiotics
Because of the crowded and unsanitary conditions on factory farms, animals are often fed low doses of antibiotics. Antibiotics are also used to make the animals grow faster. This is contributing to the growing problem of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in humans.
Agriculture has an enormous impact on the environment, but whether the impact is good or bad depends on the type of agriculture used. Sustainable agriculture puts back what it takes from the environment, while factory farming pollutes our air, water and soil.
Irradiation is used to increase the shelf life of the food so it can travel longer distances and keep for as long as possible. This processing method has not been properly tested for safety and it depletes the vitamin content of food.
Organic food regulated by the USDA, and organic farmers must follow specific guidelines in order to label their foods “organic.” For example, animals cannot be given antibiotics or hormones, chemical pesticides cannot be used, and meat cannot be irradiated.
Pesticides are sprayed on crops that are fed to farm animals. Residues are stored in the animals' fat and tissue, and enter our bodies when we eat the meat. Pesticides have been linked to many medical problems.

Overall, the reason I am writing this blog is to express my feelings about factory farms and the meat packing industry, and give an explanation to my new diet, excluding red meat.

I am presented with another conflict. Should I eat organic meat? Or meat processed on family farms? Would that meat be safe for my body? Should I only eat meat I buy myself so I can guarantee it fits my standards? Yet another dilemma.

No comments: