Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Followed

My relationship to food is in a process of transformation. Instead of just grabbing a bite to satisfy my hunger, I now tend to study the food’s nutritional benefit and background. I also constantly think of the facts, trivia and lessons I have been learning in my Anthropology of Food class. Sometimes, I feel like the class is haunting me. Everywhere I go, class material follows. This can lead to guilt and or regret, but overall the class will help guide me to a healthier and more environmental friendly diet.

Take for example Monday afternoon on my way home from Bumbershoot. I was intensely craving a McDonald’s soft serve vanilla ice-cream, as was my boyfriend Evan. So, we made a stop. That sugary, sweet, soft ice-cream was just as delicious as I imagined. The next day in class we watched Supersize Me, a documentary that will make anyone feel guilty about indulging in the cheap, “food” that McDonald’s sells. Oh well…down the hatch.

Yesterday my class caught up to me once again when I popped a bag of microwavable popcorn and thoroughly enjoyed it while watching “Motorcycle Diaries”, only to hear the next day about a news article claiming that a chemical in microwaveable popcorn, Diacetyl, supposedly caused lung cancer. Was I eating anything safe for my body?

Just today, after a long talk about the benefits of local eating and the consequences of not eating locally I found myself eating a Chilean apple I bought at Trader Joes the day before. My intentions to eat a healthy snack before a workout turned into yet another guilt trip. All I could focus on with each bite of crunchy apple was the amount of petroleum that went into getting it to my hands and the unknown pesticides I was ingesting. From that moment on I would make an extra effort to eat only Washington apples.

My class followed me for the last time today as I was working out in the gym, but this time it followed me in a more positive way. I was on the pre-core machine, flipping channels on my personal TV and I stumbled across “Quick Fix Meals” with Robin Miller. I watch the Food Network often at home as well, but this particular show had special meaning. It was a bit sad to watch because the recipes were really great, but almost impossible to make in a dorm kitchenette. It was fun and interesting as well because the main course of her menu was pistachio-crusted Tilapia, a fish I have recently learned a lot about. My professor of Anthropology recently increased my knowledge regarding Tilapia, telling me that Tilapia is a vegetarian fish, causing it to have minimal impact on the environment. The side dish that Miller cooked up was Swiss chard with proccuitto, pine nuts and gorgonzola. Swiss Chard is a hearty green very similar to Collard Greens which we recently cooked and studied in class. It has the same basic nutrients and properties and can be complimented by similar ingredients. The following is Robin Miller’s recipe:

Pistachio-Crusted Tilapia with Chard, Flash-Fried Prosciutto, Gorgonzola and Pine Nuts
1 cup shelled pistachios

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

4 tilapia fillets

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons honey mustard

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil,

divided 4 ounces prosciutto,

diced 4 tablespoons pine nuts

6 cups fresh chard leaves

1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
In a food processor, combine pistachios, oregano, thyme, and garlic powder. Process until finely chopped and transfer to a shallow dish. Season both sides of tilapia fillets with salt and pepper. Brush honey mustard over both sides of tilapia and then transfer to pistachio mixture. Press mixture into both sides of fish.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tilapia and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until fork-tender.
Heat remaining oil in a small skillet over high heat. Add prosciutto and cook 2 minutes, until golden brown. Add pine nuts and cook 1 minute, until nuts are golden brown. Add chard leaves, cover and steam 2 minutes, until leaves soften. Arrange chard mixture on a serving platter and top with Gorgonzola and serve with tilapia.

No comments: